Area 1-P Lower Division Playoffs - January and February 2014
Results for the 2014-15 playoffs will be published shortly.
|League Champions Playoffs||All Star Playoffs|
|Schedule, Results and Standings|
No one has a vested interest in the schedules. Just because your team has been given a particular time, that does not mean that we need your permission to change it. We reserve the right to make scheduling changes for the benefit of the program as a whole. This includes situations where a team would be severely depleted at the originally scheduled time. Also, as all-powerful as we like to think ourselves, we do not control the weather or the people who grant and pull our field permits.
2014-5 Season Notes
Our Area now has ten regions. To accommodate this, in any division in which there are more than eight teams, either two or four teams will play a preliminary game at the beginning of the day to determine which will go on to play, later in the day, in the bracket of eight that play quarter finals. Although we realize that the teams who play in this game will have to play an extra game, we felt that this was the simplest way of keeping the League Champions Playoffs to a single weekend. IF YOUR LEAGUE CHAMPION TEAM SCHEDULED TO PLAY A PRELIMINARY ROUND GAME, MAKE SURE YOUR TEAM KNOWS THAT IF IT WINS, IT WILL PLAY A SECOND GAME ON THE SAME DAY.
The teams chosen to play an extra game will be chosen at random. In 2013, two regions, SLA and LAC, had two teams playing a preliminary game; all other regions had one. (Note for conspiracy theorists: In 2012, six regions played preliminary games; those regions were exempt from having to play more than one this year. The two regions (WLA and LF) that escaped playing preliminary games last year and more than one this year will be first up for extra preliminary games this year.)
In the All Star Playoffs:
- In BU10, we are playing on a field without lights and cannot fit in more than 8 games a day, but with 10 teams we have to play 10 games a day. Therefore, each day of pool play we will schedule additional games at a different field. We are hoping to get a fifth field at Culver City High School, where we have the games scheduled for now, but if this is not possible, the games will be played at El Rodeo School in Beverly Hills. Please check back after January 15, by which time we should know one way or the other.
- In BU14 and GU14, we have scheduled the games at John Adams Middle School but as of January 14 we are awaiting confirmation that our arrangements are satisfactory to the City of Santa Monica.
- In all divisions, every team plays four games against randomly chosen opponents. These games count for points according to the scoring system published in our rules. The teams will then be seeded in the elimination round of the playoffs according to where they placed in the standings. In any division with more than 8 teams (this year BU12 and BU14), for the playoff weekend (February 1 and 2) we will use the same preliminary game system as we did for the League Champions to get down to 8 teams in the quarterfinals. In any division, where there are fewer than 8 teams (we have 7 teams in BU14, GU14 and GU12), the highest place team in the standings will have a bye on Saturday February 1 and will play in the semifinals on Sunday.
- teams are responsible for set-up and take down of fields at both Culver City High School. Make sure you know if your game is the first or last of the day and be prepared to have volunteers available to help.
- If you are participating at any field and yours is the first game of the day, you may be responsible for setting up goals, nets and flags.
- If you are participating in the last game of the day, you may be responsible for dismantling or moving goals and for putting away flags.
- Points may be deducted for an All Star team that fails to carry out its set-up/takedown responsibilities. We reserve the right to impose other sanctions.